Getting Glad in God

George Mueller wrote: “The first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day is to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about every day is not how much I might serve the Lord, how I might glorify the Lord; but how I might get my soul into a happy state.” Following his example, I attempt to begin each day reading, praying over, and meditating on Scripture to get my heart satisfied in God. This blog is a record of God’s response to my efforts.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

Isaiah 44 & 45

I noted 11 occurrences of “Who is a God like me?” type statements in these two chapters. Hmmm… Think God is trying to say something?

I was also struck by the finality and sufficiency of Christ’s single, definitive sacrifice in Hebrews 10, especially verse 14: “for by a single offering He has perfected for all time those who are being sanctified.”

I am disappointed though that neither one of these awe-inspiring thoughts from Hebrews or Isaiah inspired any awe or sense of wonder in my soul. Some days my heart is just so hard and my eyes are just so blind. Perhaps as I continue to meditate throughout the day…