Getting Glad in God

George Mueller wrote: “The first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day is to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about every day is not how much I might serve the Lord, how I might glorify the Lord; but how I might get my soul into a happy state.” Following his example, I attempt to begin each day reading, praying over, and meditating on Scripture to get my heart satisfied in God. This blog is a record of God’s response to my efforts.

Friday, September 16, 2005

Isaiah 43:25

“I, I am he who blots out your transgressions for my own sake, and I will not remember your sins.” The phrase “for my own sake” arrested my attention this morning. It indicates that God forgives for God’s sake. That is both humbling and reassuring to me.

It humbles me cuz it reminds me that I am not at the center of God’s heart; God is. Even the incredible grace of blotting out my sins He does for His own good first and mine second.

It is reassuring cuz it grounds my hope in God’s worth and not my own. “What if God gets tired of forgiving me?” is a question I never need to ask, since He never tires of pursuing His own glory. God opposes unforgiven sin in me with the same zeal that He opposes any other enemy to His glory. He will have me entirely clean, by His own blood, for His own glory.