Getting Glad in God

George Mueller wrote: “The first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day is to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about every day is not how much I might serve the Lord, how I might glorify the Lord; but how I might get my soul into a happy state.” Following his example, I attempt to begin each day reading, praying over, and meditating on Scripture to get my heart satisfied in God. This blog is a record of God’s response to my efforts.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Luke 22:24-27

Jesus is so adamant that His followers learn humility and service. He says it directly: “Let the greatest become like the youngest, and the leader as the one who serves” (v. 26). He also puts Himself, their leader, forward as the example of service, in contrast to heathen leaders: “But I am among you as the one who serves” (v. 27). We learn from John’s gospel that the context of these utterances was His washing of the disciples’ feet: a pretty humiliating form of service.

So my leadership of this family and these other elders and this church must take the form of serving them and making myself as the lowest profile among them.