Getting Glad in God

George Mueller wrote: “The first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day is to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about every day is not how much I might serve the Lord, how I might glorify the Lord; but how I might get my soul into a happy state.” Following his example, I attempt to begin each day reading, praying over, and meditating on Scripture to get my heart satisfied in God. This blog is a record of God’s response to my efforts.

Monday, September 05, 2005

Isaiah 12-13

One thing I notice right away reading Isaiah again is how difficult it is to find your way around in this prophecy, particularly in detecting which predictions are more literal and which are less so. We now can look back at 7:14 and 9:6 and see that God had a literal intent there. But what about 11:6-9? If no literal kingdom will occupy this globe (as in amillennialism or postmillennialism), these promises are figurative. How can you know? One thing for sure: prophecy keeps me humble, exposing what I don’t know!

There’s such a sharp contrast between the condition of those to whom God is kind (ch. 12) and those to whom He gives judgment (ch. 13). The gore in chapter 13 is graphic: people thrust through with swords, infants dashed to pieces, women ravished. And the joy in chapter 12 is just as intense: drinking from the wells of salvation, the glorious triumphs of God, His greatness in the midst of His people. What makes the difference? How can we ensure His blessing and avoid His anger? Neither of these chapters tells that part of the story, but the thrust of Isaiah’s prophecy is clear: a heart of humility (2:11-17) that hopes in God (8:11-17), upholds social justice and mercy (1:16-17), and obeys God’s word (1:18-20).

While I can strive for that kind of humility, justice, mercy, and obedience, ultimately I fail. But then the gospel comes to bear on this scene and tells me that, because of Christ, God sees me as entirely humble, just, merciful, and obedient. The gospel reminds me that the requirements of the law are entirely satisfied, and the blessings of Isaiah 12 are all mine in Christ!