Getting Glad in God

George Mueller wrote: “The first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day is to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about every day is not how much I might serve the Lord, how I might glorify the Lord; but how I might get my soul into a happy state.” Following his example, I attempt to begin each day reading, praying over, and meditating on Scripture to get my heart satisfied in God. This blog is a record of God’s response to my efforts.

Friday, September 09, 2005

Isaiah 26:3-13

A theme of trust in God runs through these verses, coupled with the idea of desire—longing, yearning, emotional as well as volitional. “Trust” here is a desirous hope.

Often when I think of hope in God, I take a very personal and narrow view of what that means. I’m thinking, “God, you are my desire because you will bring satisfaction to my soul.” But the desire for God here is centered on what He will do to right the wrongs in the nations and in society. It’s not just “God, I’m lost without you.” It’s also “God, our world is a mess without you.” This awareness of the satisfaction and joy God will bring to the entire world makes me long for Him all the more…