Getting Glad in God

George Mueller wrote: “The first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day is to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about every day is not how much I might serve the Lord, how I might glorify the Lord; but how I might get my soul into a happy state.” Following his example, I attempt to begin each day reading, praying over, and meditating on Scripture to get my heart satisfied in God. This blog is a record of God’s response to my efforts.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Psalm 113

This psalmist points out the Lord’s greatness in two ways. First, He is unrivaled. No one and no thing are as high and glorious as He. “Who is like the Lord our God, who is seated on high, how looks far down on the heavens and the earth?” (vv 5-6) It’s an interesting time in our country to read a claim like that. The Eastern and Western Conference Finals are underway in the NBA. The Stanley Cup will soon be awarded in the NHL. Three United States Senators are vying for the Presidency, and in half a year one of them will win it. But this Psalmist seems to believe that all sports teams, all influential people, all nations, and even all celestial bodies aren’t even worth comparing to the greatness of God.

Second, He is condescending. What an unusual way to demonstrate greatness—by stooping low. “He raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap” (v 7). Apparently God shows His greatness, not by controlling or putting down those who are smaller and weaker, but by being an inexhaustible supply of power to lift weak people up. He draws attention to His greatness by helping us in our weakness. Perhaps the most clear demonstration of this that I’ve seen lately has been His amazing grace to the older of my two sisters over the last 8 months. For everyone who has watched her story develop, He has proven beyond any doubt that “My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus” (Phil. 4:19).

Fittingly, this psalm ends: “He gives the barren woman a home, making her the joyous mother of children. Praise the Lord!”