Getting Glad in God

George Mueller wrote: “The first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day is to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about every day is not how much I might serve the Lord, how I might glorify the Lord; but how I might get my soul into a happy state.” Following his example, I attempt to begin each day reading, praying over, and meditating on Scripture to get my heart satisfied in God. This blog is a record of God’s response to my efforts.

Friday, May 23, 2008

2 Samuel 12

The narrative of Saul’s life always frightens me. He seemed to have so much potential: he was humble (1 Sam 9:21), he had God’s Spirit on him (10:9-13), he looked the part (10:23-24), and he inspired others to follow (10:26). But he totally flamed out. He was completely rejected by God, and by the end he resorted to a séance to get anything going spiritually.

David’s life, of course, stands in sharp contrast. Everything Saul lost, David gained: God’s favor, the kingdom, popularity with the people, a lasting legacy… all of it. But today I noticed another contrast between David and Saul that I think might explain why David got it all and Saul lost it all. I noticed it in these six words from David’s mouth: “I have sinned against the Lord” (2 Sam 12:13).

Obviously, David’s sin isn’t the contrast. Admitting it is. I went back to 1 Samuel 13 and 15 and double checked, and sure enough… Every time Saul was confronted with his sin, he made excuses. He never comes right out and says, “I have sinned against the Lord” except as a last resort to impress other people (cf. 1 Sam 15:30). Saul handled his sin by rationalizing, denying, covering, ignoring, and blaming others for it. But David handled his with honest, humble confession.

What distinguishes David from Saul is not that Saul committed worse sins. No, it’s that Saul committed self-atonement for his sins. David, however, trusted another to atone for him: “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die.” (2 Sam 12:13)

What does it mean to be “a man after God’s own heart” like David? Apparently not sinlessness. Just repentance for sin and faith in Jesus Christ to forgive and cleanse.
Have mercy on me, O God, according to your steadfast love; according to your abundant mercy blot out my transgressions. Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! Psalm 51:1-2