Getting Glad in God

George Mueller wrote: “The first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day is to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about every day is not how much I might serve the Lord, how I might glorify the Lord; but how I might get my soul into a happy state.” Following his example, I attempt to begin each day reading, praying over, and meditating on Scripture to get my heart satisfied in God. This blog is a record of God’s response to my efforts.

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

James 5:11

James brings Job to our minds as an example of steady endurance in suffering. But how can we be like Job? Should we just suck it up and get with it, gritting it out? What if we don’t have that kind of strength? James commends three thoughts to help us endure:
1) God designs and brings our suffering to us Himself. What happened to Job was not ultimately by Satan’s design; it happened by “the purpose of the Lord.” Every disappointment, every stress, every heartache, every discomfort is ours by God’s set plan.
2) This doesn’t make God our enemy or a cruel Sovereign, for “the Lord is compassionate and merciful.” Every loss comes to us from the hands of a loving Father.
3) Ultimately, suffering is for our good, and a blessing awaits us if we remain steadfast.

With these ideas in mind, my suffering takes on a whole new quality. Every trial, no matter how large or small, is a gracious gift from my kind Father designed with my best interest.
Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take –
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy and will break
In blessing on your head.