Getting Glad in God

George Mueller wrote: “The first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day is to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about every day is not how much I might serve the Lord, how I might glorify the Lord; but how I might get my soul into a happy state.” Following his example, I attempt to begin each day reading, praying over, and meditating on Scripture to get my heart satisfied in God. This blog is a record of God’s response to my efforts.

Friday, October 07, 2005

John 2:13-22

I come to the word this morning so aware of my own sinfulness and God’s right to be angry with me. In fact, He ought to be angry, for I am sinful and He is morally and personally obligated to show wrath against sin. I read in Jeremiah 14 and 15 about His fierce anger with Jerusalem and His plan to bring horrible punishment on them for their idolatry and rebellion. And so I’m so aware of my need for a mediator, a sin-bearer, anything to hide me from Him or repair the breach between us.

With all that in mind, I come to John 2 and hear Jesus say, “Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.” The temple—the place of sacrifice, the scene of sin-bearing, the only hope for those who long to have the breach repaired. Guilty people came to the temple. Sinful people. After all, the central feature of the temple was the altar, bloodied and burning to atone for sin.

And Jesus blows the whole thing away by claiming to rebuild in 3 days what it took 46 years for them to construct, clearly indicating that His words pointed to more than meets the eye. Verse 21 makes plain His point: His body is the new temple. He Himself is the place where people meet with God. Guilty sinners find forgiveness and cleansing in the body of Jesus. Guilty sinners like me. Jesus bore God’s wrath so that I could enjoy His favor. Today.

Weak and wounded sinner,
Lost and left to die,
Raise your hand for Love is passing by.
Come to Jesus.
Come to Jesus.
Come to Jesus and live.