Getting Glad in God

George Mueller wrote: “The first great and primary business to which I ought to attend every day is to have my soul happy in the Lord. The first thing to be concerned about every day is not how much I might serve the Lord, how I might glorify the Lord; but how I might get my soul into a happy state.” Following his example, I attempt to begin each day reading, praying over, and meditating on Scripture to get my heart satisfied in God. This blog is a record of God’s response to my efforts.

Monday, October 17, 2005

1 Peter 2:9

I'm back at The Springs, this time for an elders’ retreat. I do so love this place! This morning I couldn’t help reading over my journal entries here at Gilman from my two other visits this year. Lots of memories. Lots of emotions. Lots of experiences with God.

Anyway, this is an amazing verse, the way Peter talks about the church and what we are to God—“a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession.” But I’m particularly struck by the phrase “called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.” Pre-salvation = darkness. Salvation = light. Darkness implies ignorance, immorality, alienation, loneliness, and all that comes from not knowing God. But when He called me into His marvelous light, all that changed. I know what I ought, I live like I ought, I love Who I ought because He called out my name in the darkness and summoned me to live with Him in the light.

Why did He do it? Simply because He chose to have mercy upon me (v 10, cf. Rom 9:15). And what comes to my heart when I meditate on these things? Humility and joy…